Disciplinary Update: Sale Sharks flanker cops three-week ban

Disciplinary Update: Sale Sharks flanker cops three-week ban

Sale Sharks flanker Jean-Luc Du Preez has been banned for three matches after receiving a red card in Sale Sharks’ 20-13 defeat to Worcester Warriors.

Du Preez was shown a red card by referee Luke Pearce in the 39th  minute of the match between Worcester Warriors and Sale Sharks on Saturday 30 November 2019. He was dismissed for striking an opponent with the shoulder, contrary to World Rugby Law 9.12.

Du Preez has been banned until 23 December and also received a club fine for the act of foul play. A disciplinary committee dismissed Du Preez’s claim that his actions were clumsy and initially deemed the transgression to be worthy of a six-week ban, but the sanction was reduced by 50% due to Du Preez’s acceptance of the red card, the remorse he showed as well as the lack of prior offences.

The 24-year-old will miss back-to-back European Champions Cup games against Exeter Chiefs, as well as the English Premiership clash with Northampton Saints.

‘I apologised after the game to the player. Sale Sharks lost the game because of my actions and I have been fined £1,000 by the club,’ added the disappointed Du Preez. ‘I have a clean disciplinary record and I am embarrassed by my actions.’

Du Preez will next be eligible to play against Bath at The Rec on 28 December.


London Irish prop Ollie Hoskins has been given a one-week ban for 'cheap shot' on Chris Vui. Hoskins accepted a charge of dangerous play in their Premiership draw with Bristol. 


The 26-year-old was sent off in the match on 1 December after a clearout at a ruck on Bristol lock Chris Vui.

Hoskins will miss Irish's Challenge Cup game at Toulon on Saturday.

"He accepted the red card, has a clean disciplinary record and apologised for his actions," said independent panel chair Richard Whittam QC.

"Having carefully analysed the footage, they [the panel] were satisfied to the requisite standard that the contact was shoulder to shoulder.



Leicester Tigers flanker Harry Wells has been handed a two-week ban for making contact with Alex Waller's head in Saturday's Premiership defeat by Northampton at Franklin's Gardens.

Wells accepted the charge and was given a two week suspension by John Brennan sitting as sole judicial officer. The player is free to play again on Tuesday 17 December 2019.

Independent judicial officer John Brennan said: "The player accepted the charge. The judicial officer found that it was a reckless act which resulted in contact to Alex Waller above the line of the shoulders. As a result of contact to the head the mandatory mid-range entry point of 4 weeks applied.
"The player has a clean record, expressed remorse for his action and did not contest the charge. As such, he was given the maximum mitigation of 50%.”

More News

Latest News