Eight Key Moments From The PRO14 Final

Eight Key Moments From The PRO14 Final

Leinster claimed back to back titles as they were able to dispatch Glasgow 15-18 in the final of the PRO14 at Celtic Park.

We take a look at the key moments in the game that handed Leinster the title.

16th Minute - The quick reply

Matt Fagerson opened the scoring for Glasgow with a pick and go to give Glasgow the lead. However, their lead was quickly cut to just two points as Luke McGrath charged down Stuart Hogg's clearance kick and Garry Ringrose sprinted over to dive on the spinning ball over the line. Somehow the ball stayed live with the small in goal area with the spin just keeping the ball in long enough for Ringrose to dive on it. 

22nd Minute - Ringrose's cover defence

With Glasgow leading 8-5, Kyle Steyn rips through the Leinster defence and swings the ball wide to Hogg who gives it off to Seymour who cuts inside beating Jordan Larmour before Garry Ringrose comes to the rescue with a thumping tackle to stop Seymour in his tracks. Ringrose's outstanding defence stopped what could have been a stellar try but in the end it resulted in just three points for Glasgow. 

35th Minute - Sexton finally splits the uprights

Generally one of the best place kickers in the game, Sexton missed his first two attempts at goal, two that would have given Leinster the lead. However, Sexton found his place kicking boots following Cian Healy's try and slotted that kick as well as a long range penalty soon after as Leinster took a 10-15 lead into the break.

48th minute - Ringrose's defensive work and Steyn's yellow

With Glasgow attacking well into Leinster's half, Ringrose made an excellent spot tackle after bursting out of the line. His centre partner contests well at the breakdown forcing the poor pass and Ringrose toes it on downfield. From he regathers and gives it to Lowe who is taken down by Steyn who fails to roll away in time and is sent to the sin bin. Leinster opted to go to the line but ended up taking the three points soon after to extend the lead to a score point advantage.

62nd minute - Healy's substitution, Glasgow's penalty at the scrum 

With Leinster looking to put the game to bed leading the game 10-18. Glasgow's defence forced the knock on but still had to deal with scrum 5 metres from their line. Leo Cullen decided that Cian Healy had ran his race and opted to throw Ed Byrne on to front up the scrum in first minute on the pitch. The loosehead was however penalised at the scrum and Glasgow were able to clear their lines after an extended period of time with Leinster in their 22.

65th minute - Rob Kearney and Stuart Hogg


Rob Kearney could have quite easily cost Leinster the game when he took Stuart Hogg out in the air and was ultimately sent to have a 10-minute breather. While he was off Glasgow managed to fight their way back into the game. That also cost Glasgow as they had to chase the game without one of their most dangerous attacking weapons.

73rd minute - Matt Fagerson wins a crucial penalty

With Leinster looking to close the game out as Jonathan Sexton dropped into the pocket and his pack went to work to make a better angle for the Leinster flyhalf, Matt Fagerson got over the ball to win a crucial penalty for Glasgow which they turned into 5 point soon afterwards to keep the Scottish side in the game. 

78th minute - DTH's knock on

Glasgow needed to produce something truly special to deny Leinster back to back title, however their hopes of steal the title away from the Irish Province were ended when DTH van der Merwe tried to exploit a gap in the defence from a ruck but spilt the ball forward to give Leinster the scrum and ultimately kick the ball out to claim the title.

More News

Latest News