Steve Borthwick has named his team to play Argentina in England’s opening match of Rugby World Cup at Stade de Marseille.
Courtney Lawes is named captain at blindside flanker and is joined in the back row by the returning Tom Curry on the openside with Ben Earl at No.8.
In the front row, vice-captain Ellis Genge starts at loosehead prop with Jamie George at hooker and Dan Cole on the tighthead. Maro Itoje and Ollie Chessum are paired in the second row.
Alex Mitchell and vice-captain George Ford feature in the half-back berths, with inside centre Manu Tuilagi partnering Joe Marchant at 13. Jonny May lines up on the right wing, opposite Elliot Daly on the left, and Freddie Steward is at fullback.
The replacements are: Theo Dan, Joe Marler, Will Stuart, George Martin, Lewis Ludlam, Danny Care Marcus Smith, and Ollie Lawrence.
15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 26 caps)
14. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 73 caps)
13. Joe Marchant (Stade Francais, 19 caps)
12. Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 53 caps)
11. Elliot Daly (Saracens, 59 caps)
10. George Ford – vice-captain (Sale Sharks, 85 caps)
9. Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, 6 caps)
1. Ellis Genge – vice-captain (Bristol Bears, 52 caps)
2. Jamie George (Saracens, 79 caps)
3. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 102 caps)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 70 caps)
5. Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 11 caps)
6. Courtney Lawes – captain (Northampton Saints, 100 caps)
7. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 45 caps)
8. Ben Earl (Saracens, 18 caps)
16. Theo Dan (Saracens, 3 caps)
17. Joe Marler (Harlequins, 82 caps)
18. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 29 caps)
19. George Martin (Leicester Tigers, 3 caps)
20. Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 21 caps)
21. Danny Care (Harlequins, 90 caps)
22. Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 24 caps)
23. Ollie Lawrence (Bath Rugby, 14 caps)
BORTHWICK ON HIS SQUAD
“With an excellent week of preparation in Le Touquet, the players are now looking forward to starting their Rugby World Cup campaign under the lights in Marseille on Saturday.
“After a number of impressive performances in the last 12 months by Argentina, we know that the first game in our pool will provide a stern test.
“This great tournament provides an excitingly special opportunity for our players, who I know, as ever, will be giving their all in front of our travelling support in the south of France.”