Jonny May's brace and stellar defence sees England overpower Ireland

Jonny May's brace and stellar defence sees England overpower Ireland

England marched on to their second victory in the Autumn Nations Cup as they claimed a convincing 18-7 win over Ireland at Twickenham on Saturday.

England's defence stood firm as they failed to concede a single point in over 200 minutes of test rugby between Jake Polledri's try in the Six Nations and Jacob Stockdale's try in the 73rd minute of this test.

Jonny May scored an excellent first-half brace for England rising higher than Hugo Keenan after an Owen Farrell cross-kick to score the first try of the game in the 17th minute.

England's defensive effort was highlight by every single starting England forward made over 15 tackles against Ireland and their defence led to the second try of the game. 

They forced a turnover from a defensive lineout and got it wide to May who beat two defenders before kicking through into the Ireland 22. 

May was quickest to regather the ball to score despite the best efforts of Peter O'Mahony and Hugo Keenan who chased back. 

England continued to kick well and pin Ireland backwards.

Meanwhile, Ireland were comfortable with ball in hand but their efforts did not see any rewards with England's defence proving to be too strong. Maro Itoje, Tom Curry, Sam Underhill and Billy Vunipola were particularly key on defence with all of them weighing in massively with their tackles and forcing a few turnovers and winning a number of penalties when Ireland looked certain to score.

May's second try was the last points scored in the first half as England led 12-0. Owen Farrell extended their lead from the tee just six minutes into the second half as Ireland continued to try break through the white wall that was the England defence. Just five minutes later Farrell made it 18-0 with another penalty at the breakdown against Ireland. 

Ireland looked to have got their first points of the game after the hour mark as Chris Farrell drove over the line but he was expertly held up by Henry Slade. Ireland finally got on the scoreboard in the 73rd minute as replacement flyhalf Billy Burns dinked the ball over the England defence just three minutes after coming on which Stockdale read well to pounce on and score.

Ireland had another late chance but an overthrown lineout saw England secure possession and end the game. Full Time: England 18-7 Ireland. 

England have now won their last 23 encounters when leading at half time against Ireland.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Ultimate Rugby (@ultimaterugby)

More News

Latest News