Leinster head coach Leo Cullen has named his 28-man touring party for their trip to South Africa with a host of star names ruled out of the trip. Leinster play the Southern Kings on Saturday in Port Elizabeth and the Toyota Cheetahs on Friday week in Bloemfontein in Rounds 3 & 4 of the Guinness PRO14.
The list of notable absentees include Rob Kearney (hamstring), Jamie Heaslip (back), Garry Ringrose (shoulder), Richardt Strauss (knee) and Dan Leavy (ankle), who are all at differing stages of their rehabilitation.
Joey Carbery, Fergus McFadden, Noel Reid and Peter Dooley bolster the squad as they were passed fit to travel. The injury profile of the squad makes the two-match tour of South Africa even more difficult despite the Pro14 newcomers uninspiring performances so far, Leinster will have to quickly adapt to the new playing conditions and visiting the Cheetahs at altitude in Bloemfontein.
When Leinster return home from South Africa they face an Edinburgh side rejuvenated under Richard Cockerill and then Munster at the Aviva Stadium before switching attention to the Champions Cup. Visa issues have prevented Kiwi's Isa Nacewa & Jamison Gibson-Park entry into South Africa, so we will provisionally include them into this star-studded XV.
Leinster Rugby Left At Home XV
1. Jack McGrath - Toured with the British & Irish Lions to New Zealand. Played 64 minutes of Test rugby against the All Blacks. Set to return in Round 5 at home to Edinburgh.
2. Richardt Strauss - Expected to return to light training this week following a knee procedure.
3. Tadhg Furlong - Started all three Tests for the Lions against New Zealand. Had surgery on a thumb injury but back in light training.
4. Devin Toner - Won his 200th cap for Leinster last Friday but misses out on a trip to SA as he is set to become a father for the first time.
5. Scott Fardy - Paternity leave for the latest summer recruit as he is expecting his first child.
6. Dan Leavy - Suffered an ankle injury against Cardiff after coming on as a second-half replacement.
7. Sean O'Brien - The Tullow Tank is currently sidelined with a shoulder injury following an excellent Lions series in New Zealand.
8. Jamie Heaslip - Made a graduated return to training last week from a lower back injury and could be set to feature in the Blue next month.
9. Jamison Gibson-Park - The Kiwi scrum-half has been denied access to South Africa due to visa complications.
10. Jonny Sexton - Played 172 minutes of rugby in three Lions Tests during the summer, set to return in R5 v Edinburgh (H)
11. Isa Nacewa - The Leinster captain has also been denied entry into South Africa due to visa issues.
12. Robbie Henshaw - Making a gradual return to play following surgery on a pectoral injury suffered in New Zealand.
13. Garry Ringrose - Recovering from a shoulder procedure and will continue to rehab the injury over the next few weeks.
14. Tom Daly - Long term absentee with an ACL injury picked up in pre-season v Perpignan.
15. Rob Kearney - The Louthman suffered a hamstring injury against Cardiff Blues's on Friday & the province are waiting on scan results to determine how long the Ireland full-back will be sidelined.