Round 4 of the Mitre 10 Cup delivered the goods once again with some cracking encounters. The Ranfurly Shield changed hands once more as Hawke’s Bay defeated Otago at the Forsyth Barr Stadium. Apart from the Bay, Auckland, Counties Manukau, Northland, Canterbury, North Harbour and Waikato posted wins.
We take a look at the top stats performers from the round.
1. Sione Havili (Tasman) & Charles Alaimalo (Southland) – 19
2. Tony Lamborn (Southland) – 18
3. Shilo Klein (Canterbury) – 17
Havili and Alaimalo were their usual busy selves, putting their shoulders to good use against North Harbour and Waikato respectively.
1. Jona Nareki (Otago) & Murphy Taramai (North Harbour) – 15
2. Josh Ioane (Otago) – 14
3. Vaea Fifita & Billy Proctor (Wellington) – 13
Nareki and Taramai put in decent shifts in their games, each managing the highest number of carries in the round.
1. Jona Nareki (Otago) – 106
2. Mark Telea (Tasman) – 97
3. Freedom Vahakolo (Otago) – 87
Nareki also topped the ‘Metres gained’ stat, averaging 7m per carry.
1. Alex Nankivell (Tasman) – 7
2. Liam Coombes-Fabling (Waikato), AJ Lam Salesi Rayasi (Auckland), Tomas Aoake(North Harbour) - 5
Despite his team’s loss, Nankivell was in fine attacking form against North Harbour.
1. Jaye Thompson-Te Muunu (Southland) – 4
2. Du’Plessis Kirifi (Wellington) – 3
The Southland flanker, Thompson-Te Muunu, was in brilliant form on the ground against Taranaki, managing an astonishing 4 turnovers.
1. Etene Nanai-Seturo (Counties Manukau) – 3
The Counties fullback was not easy to lay a hand on this round, managing 3 clean breaks