Reds Fall 43-21 In High-Paced Quarter Final

Reds Fall 43-21 In High-Paced Quarter Final

The Queensland Reds fell 43-21 in Hamilton tonight when coming up against a precision performance from the Chiefs in their Super Rugby Pacific quarter final.

The Reds bravely fought to the end with three second half tries but the damage had already been done.

The Chiefs hit the Reds with a whirlwind of physicality, breakdown dominance and timing in attack in the opening period to lead 28-0 by the 24th minute.

Reds co-captain Liam Wright was generous in praise of the Chiefs at full-time and also of the progress made by his own Queensland team in 2024.

“The Chiefs came out really strongly and got away from us. We have a lot of pride in this jersey. We fought back really well but too little, too late,” Wright told Sky Sports in New Zealand on the sideline.

“The Chiefs were excellent at the breakdown where we probably let ourselves down a bit.”

When asked about a campaign that has produced a record 69 tries for a Reds’ Super Rugby season, numerous standout players and team gains, Wright was upbeat through the hurt he was feeling.

“There’s a lot to like. We wanted to do it all this year as every team wants to,” Wright said.

“We unearthed some really good guys. We built a nice combination with new coaches and we are looking forward to what this team can keep producing. We’ll keep working hard so we are better in these moments.”

One of the players unearthed has been 21-year-old backrower John Bryant. To finish his debut Super Rugby season, he charged ahead for 13 ball-carries and made 10 tackles in nearly 70 minutes.

Former All Blacks prop Jeffery Toomaga-Allen had one of his best games for the Reds, topped off by a gallop with the ball and a neat inside ball to Fraser McReight.

Replacements Lawson Creighton and Taj Annan both had strong roles in the second half rally.

Lock Seru Uru led the team out in clear conditions for his 50th game as a Red. 

The tank-like frame of Chiefs hooker Samisoni Taukei’aho grabbed two of the early tries, crashing over for the opener and backing up a flick pass for a second.

The Reds played only in spurts in the first half under the pressure applied. When they did come close they were thwarted.

Hooker Matt Faessler grounded the ball over the tryline, only to be ruled to have made a second push at the line after being on his knees. Equally, McReight looked certain to score late in the first half but a Chiefs leg blocked his dot down.

The Reds came out strongly in the second half. On 43 minutes, winger Mac Grealy came within centimetres of the line. Alert halfback Tate McDermott made sure of the try on the shortside.

Wright made a 20m run off a Creighton pass in the lead-up to McDermott’s second try. Late in the game, Creighton was rewarded with his own five-pointer.

The Reds will regroup for a feature clash against Wales at Suncorp Stadium on July 19 before their International schedule continues with a game in Tonga on July 26.
Tries: Samisoni Taukei’aho 2, Emoni Narawa, Etene Nanai-Seturo, Anton Lienert-Brown, Bradley Slater
Conversions: Damian McKenzie 5
Penalty Goal: Damian McKenzie
Tries: Tate McDermott 2, Lawson Creighton
Conversions: Lawson Creighton 2, Tom Lynagh
Half-time: Chiefs 31-Reds 0
At FMG Stadium Waikato, Hamilton

Latest News