Match report | Wales v Springboks

Match report | Wales v Springboks

South Africa claimed the Qatar Airways Cup at Twickenham Stadium with a 41-13 victory against Wales.

Wales hauled themselves back into the first haul after losing two men to the sin bin to trail by just a single point with the Springboks heading down the tunnel 14-13 ahead.

But the second half was all green as the Springboks kept Wales scoreless as they helped themselves to three tries after the break to set themselves up nicely for two Tests against Ireland.

It took only two minutes for the ‘hosts’ to have a first opportunity of points but fly half Jordan Hendrikse pushed his shot at goal wide however only moments later the Springboks burst into action to score the first try of the match.

Wales were caught narrow in defence and Makazole Mapimpi and Jeese Kriel exchanged passes for the centre to stroll over. Hendrikse added the extras to give South Africa an early 7-0 lead.

Sam Costelow chipped away at the lead with a well stuck penalty but it wasn’t long before Wales were again on the back foot.

Evan Roos burst clear and looked odds on to score but last ditch defence from Cameron Winnett denied the rampaging No 8 but Rio Dyer then received a yellow card for being offside at the breakdown.

The Springboks were then awarded a penalty try when the pack rumbled forward and Wales were then reduced to 13 men when Aaron Wainwright joined his Dragons colleague on the naughty boy’s step for trying to stop the surge illegally.

The Springboks had jumped to a 14-3 lead with Wales having hardly touched the ball.

Costelow missed an opportunity to reduce the arrears when a simple penalty sailed right of the uprights.Full-back Aphelele Fassi had been safe as houses under the high ball all game but he saw yellow in the 30th minute for foul play after his foot ploughed into Taine Plumtree’s shoulder.

Wales immediately took advantage of the extra man when Dewi Lake powered over in the corner despite Malcolm Marx’s tackle. Costelow reduced the arrears further with an excellent conversion.

Costelow’s boot found range in the 35th minute to bring Wales just a point behind the world champions with Boks head coach Rassie Erasmus looking bemused from the sidelines.Gareth Thomas then put his body on the line to prevent Roos from surging over as the Boks increased the tempo.

Kriel and Mapimpi swapped roles in the second minute of the second half with the centre putting the winger clear down the touchline. Hendrikse’s conversion put the Boks seven points clear.

Hendrikse extended the South African lead with a long-range penalty before his replacement Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu added another three points to keep the score board ticking over.

South Africa reverted to type when they utilised their traditional power to see hooker Bongi Mbonambi score his 14th Test try. Feinberg-Mngomezulu added the extras.

Jacob Beetham and Eddie James came on as a double change to earn their first Welsh caps.

On debut, winger Edwill van der Merwe then had a moment to savour when he stepped and burst clear to score under the cross bar, only moments before he was confirmed as the man of the match.

Wales must now regroup before heading Down Under where they take on Australia in a two-Test series.

Latest News