The Waratahs survive an early scare to beat a gritty Western Force

The Waratahs survive an early scare to beat a gritty Western Force

The Waratahs fought back from 14-0 down to pick up their first victory in Super Rugby Au ensuring the Western Force did not pick up where they left off three years ago and recorded a 23-14 victory at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

The Force claimed a 40-11 victory over the Waratahs in their last encounter with the Waratahs before the Perth-based franchise were controversially dumped from Super Rugby three years ago but the Waratahs made sure of the victory this time despite going down 14-0 early on.

View this post on Instagram

The Waratahs overturned a 14-point deficit to get their first W in #SuperRugbyAU

A post shared by Ultimate Rugby (@ultimaterugby) on

The Waratahs had won just one of their seven games across both Super Rugby and Super Rugby AU season and looked destined to be heading for another defeat as the hosts went down by 14 men in the first half but the Tahs scored 20 unanswered points of their own to seal the win.

Experienced Force halves Jono Lance and Ian Prior steered the ship well as the latter had the first chance at the posts and converted it in the 14th minute before Force winger Byron Ralston collected a Henry Stowers offload to score in the 29th minute. Two more Prior penalties opened up a 14-0 lead for the Force deep in the first half.

Angus Bell gave the Waratahs hope as his side turned down shots at goal to go to the corner with the front rower crashing over to narrow the gap to just seven points at the break. A Will Harrison penalty made the margin just four points in the 45th minute before Karmichael Hunt made an impact immediately from the bench launching a 50/22, a skill he is well used to from his rugby league days, that opened up the field position that led to Tom Staniforth's try.

Harrison converted another penalty as the Waratahs took a nine-point lead which they would hold onto for the remainder of the game.

More News

Latest News