The Cherry & Whites will be welcomed onto their home turf by the passionate Kingsholm crowd when they cross swords with Wasps.
George Skivington’s men came agonisingly close to the play-offs last season, finishing in fifth spot overall, just one point behind Northampton Saints. The team was taking good shape in 2021-22 and are expected to make life difficult for their opponents in the coming months.
After a disappointing campaign last season, Wasps will be looking to bounce back with a strong performance to kick things off. Lee Blackett’s charges were only good enough for ninth position overall.
The last occasion in which the sides did battle saw Gloucester take the honours with just two points:
- Both Gloucester and Wasps made 15 interceptions last season, the highest total in the league.
- Gloucester scored the most tries from mauls in last season’s Premiership (20).
- Gloucester powerhouse Ruan Ackermann put in the hard yards for the Cherry and Whites last season, making a league-high 348 metres in contact.
- The back row as a unit were very dependable for Gloucester last season: Lewis Ludlow (294), Freddie Clarke (263) and Ruan Ackermann (237) all finished in the top five tacklers in the league last season.
- Boasting a success rate of 93% on their own throw, the Wasps’ lineout was the best in the 2021/22 Premiership.
- Wasps’ Alfie Barbeary made an average of 15.6 carries per 80 minutes last season – more than any player who made more than eight Premiership appearances.
- Both Willis brothers – Jack and Tom – made 14 turnovers apiece for Wasps last season, the highest tallies of anyone from their club. Tom was also the most regular carrier for his side, making 211 carries across the season and scoring six tries.
- Last season Wasps relied heavily on the dominance of their pack. Paolo Odogwu scored more tries than any other back in the Wasps squad (5) but placed joint-fourth in the try-scoring charts.
- Gabriel Oghre scored a try in both contests between Wasps and Gloucester in the 2021/22 season. He finished the season as Wasps’ top try-scorer (nine).
- In the last nine Premiership ties between these sides, Gloucester have won on seven occasions. However, the last time these sides met, Wasps emerged victorious 27-21 at Kingsholm.
- Gloucester tailed off at the end of the 2021/22 Premiership season, winning just two of their final six league games.